Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mynah

I apologise for the poor quality of these photos. These shots were made using the digital zoom feature of my IXUS 870IS which explains the lack of clarity and definition in the subject. However, I am posting these photos because they are the only record of a phenomenon that I have not witnessed before. Most times Mynahs such as this one here are part of groups of three or four birds. They have become very common in our parks and gardens and have also become so urbanised that they even have the boldness to take their lunch at our hawker centres pecking at the leftovers on the plates. They are gregarious and I have witnessed a number of fights amongst themselves. Once I saw a group of three or four birds attacking a smaller mynah viciously.
This time I saw this solitary bird very much alone. I would not have noticed it had it not been for its noisiness and when I took time to give it my full attention I noticed that it was preening and puffing up its feathers and I guessed it must be trying to attract the attention of an interested female. Unfortunately for it, the only female was me and I was available. Sadly it did not give me even a second look. After about ten minutes of hopping from leaf to leaf and showing off its body shape, it gave up and flew away.

No comments: