Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kingfisher

When was the last time I saw kingfishers? A long time ago so much so that I have forgotten about the excitement of seeing flashes of electric blue streaking at low levels from tree to tree cleverly keeping a distance from me. This time my friend pointed them out to me and I was lucky to have my 250 zoom lens with me. The birds (a pair) were there and the camera was in my hands. Alas, I had no time to to do the camera settings being afraid that these suspicious birds would not stay long enough for me to twiddle with the dials. I did not get great shots of this pair of kingfishers. I should learn to be more patient and have more faith that these birds are not really in much of a hurry to leave. Hmm, maybe I should get a 300mm zoom.





"Jack Sprat could eat no fat
His wife could eat no lean
Between the two of them
they left the platter clean"
A nursery rhyme that stuck in my head and was recalled when I noticed that this pair of kingfishers match the description in the rhyme.
A bird circled the sky above. It must have been busy looking for building materials for its new nest.

No comments: