Sunday, January 23, 2011

White-throated Kingfisher

In Bukit Batok Nature Park this morning, I heard several different types of bird calls and bird songs. Alas I did not get to see them for there was abundance of foliage for them to hide amongst. However, I managed to spot two of these White-throated kingfishers fighting for territorial rights to perch on this branch of a fallen tree in the middle of the pond. The loser had to exile to a tree beyond the reach of my camera lens. I think someday, I would like to invest in a good lens for my DSLR so that what I record of the birds I see would be a whole lot clearer than what I have here with my Canon Powershot.





Not long ago at the Hortpark, I caught sight of this White-throated Kingfisher perched on a fence. It made a swoop for something on the ground and then flew a short distance away.


After a while I realised that it had caught a skink. So our kingfishers have quite a varied diet.

No comments: